Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
True friendship is a plant of slow growth, and must undergo and withstand the shocks of adversity before it is entitled to the appellation.george washington
Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live.
Prosperity seems to be scarcely safe, unless it be mixed with a little adversity.hosea ballou
And we must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent or omniscient that we are only 6 percent of the world’s population that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94 percent of mankind that we cannot right every wrong or reverse every adversity and that therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.
All that happens in the world of Nature or Man, — every war; every peace; every hour of prosperity; every hour of adversity; every election; every death ; every life; every success and every failure, — all change, — all permanence, — the perished leaf; the unutterable glory of stars, — all things speak truth to the thoughtful spirit.rufus choate
Prosperity is a great teacher; adversity is a greater. Possession pampers the mind; privation trains and strengthens it.william hazlitt
In prosperous times the mercantile classes often realize fortunes, which go far towards securing them against the future; but unfortunately the working classes, though they share in the general prosperity, do not share in it so largely as in the general adversity.thomas malthus
In all adversity, what God takes away He may give us back with increase.edward bouverie pusey
God has come again and again in various Forms, has spoken again and again in different words and different languages the Same One Truth – but how many are there that live up to it? Instead of making Truth the vital breath of his life, man compromises by making over and over again a mechanical religion of it a handy staff to lean on in times of adversity, a soothing balm for his conscience or a tradition to be followed.meher baba
If there be light, then there is darkness; if cold, heat; if height, depth; if solid, fluid; if hard, soft; if rough, smooth; if calm, tempest; if prosperity, adversity; if life, death.pythagoras
Be generous in prosperity, and thankful in adversity.
In the day of prosperity we have many refuges to resort to; in the day of adversity, only one.horatius bonar
The black middle-class in America is a prosperous community that is now larger in absolute terms than the black underclass. Does its existence not suggest that economic adversity is the result of failures of individual character rather than the lingering after-effects of racial discrimination and a slave system that ceased to exist well over a century ago?david horowitz
If thou faint in the day of adversity thy strength is small.
Fire is the test of gold; adversity, of strong men.seneca the younger
DROWNING is not so pitiful As the attempt to rise. Three times, ’t is said, a sinking man Comes up to face the skies, And then declines forever To that abhorred abode Where hope and he part company, For he is grasped of God. The Maker’s cordial visage, However good to see, Is shunned, we must admit it, Like an adversity.
Proud souls in the true sense are never humbled by adversity.henry s. haskins
A wise man struggling with adversity is said by some heathen writer to be a spectacle on which the gods might look down with pleasure.sydney smith
The Republic needed to be passed through chastening, purifying fires of adversity and suffering: so these came and did their work and the verdure of a new national life springs greenly, luxuriantly, from their ashes.Horace Greeley
Books are delightful when prosperity happily smiles; when adversity threatens, they are inseparable comforters. They give strength to human compacts, nor are grave opinions brought forward without books. Arts and sciences, the benefits of which no mind can calculate, depend upon books.
If there be light, then there is darkness; if cold, heat; if height, depth; if solid, fluid; if hard, soft; if rough, smooth; if calm, tempest; if prosperity, adversity; if life, death.
adversity stretcheth our days.