The Corporation of Chennai (previously Madras) is the Oldest Municipal Institution in India established on the 29th September 1688. A charter was issued on the 30 December 1607 by East Indian Company constituting the "Town of Fort St. George" and all the territories thereunto belonging, not exceeding the distance of ten miles from the Fort, into a Corporation.
Sir Josiah Child, one of the directors of the East India Company was responsible for the formation of the Corporation of Chennai, on the model of Dutch Government in the East Indies. On 29th September 1688, the corporation was inaugurated with power to decide petty cases, levy rates upon the inhabitants for building of schools , a town hall and a jail . Nathaniel Higginson was nominated as First mayor with 12 aldermen and 60 burgesses .