Thanksgiving can sometimes feel like a forgotten holiday wedged in between Halloween and Christmas, but it's actually an all-American day designed to bring together friends, family and food in one great celebration.
First celebrated by the pilgrims in Plymouth and later made into a national day of reflection by Abraham Lincoln during the Civil War, Thanksgiving is the perfect time to give thanks for what you have in your life.
Not sure how to express yourself on this holiday? Try using some of these quotes and sayings to let your friends and family know how you feel about them. Whether you're looking for something religious, thoughtful or just plain fun, there's sure to be something here that encapsulates what you're feeling on the fourth Thursday of November.
Sayings to Deliver Before Carving the Turkey
- "An attitude of gratitude brings great things." - Yogi Bhajan
- "Be present in all things and thankful for all things." - Maya Angelou
- "No one has ever become poor by giving." - Anne Frank
- "The thankful receiver bears a plentiful harvest." - William Blake
- "Thanksgiving Day is a jewel, to set in the hearts of honest men; but be careful that you do not take the day, and leave out the gratitude." - E.P. Powell
- "As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them." - John F. Kennedy
Thanksgiving Prayers and Reflections
- "I give thanks to my Creator for this wonderful life where each of us has the opportunity to learn lessons we could not fully comprehend by any other means." - Joseph B. Wirthlin
- "To give thanks in solitude is enough. Thanksgiving has wings and goes where it must go. Your prayer knows much more about it than you do." - Victor Hugo
- "Dear Lord; we beg but one boon more: Peace in the hearts of all men living, peace in the whole world this Thanksgiving." - Joseph Auslander
- "Sing unto the Lord with thanksgiving; sing praise upon the harp unto our God / Who covereth the heaven with clouds, who prepareth rain for the earth, who maketh grass to grow upon the mountains." - Psalm 147:7-8
- "If the only prayer you said in your whole life was 'thank you,' that would suffice." - Meister Eckhart
Funny Sayings for Thanksgiving With Family
- "After a good dinner, one can forgive anybody, even one's own relations." - Oscar Wilde
- "I come from a family where gravy is considered a beverage." - Erma Bombeck
- "My cooking is so bad my kids thought Thanksgiving was to commemorate Pearl Harbor." - Phyllis Diller
- "Most turkeys taste better the day after; my mother's tasted better the day before." - Rita Rudner
- "Thanksgiving is an emotional time. People travel thousands of miles to be with people they only see once a year. And then they discover once a year is way too often." - Johnny Carson
- I love Thanksgiving traditions: watching football, making pumpkin pie, and saying the magic phrase that sends your aunt storming out of the dining room to sit in her car." - Stephen Colbert
Thanksgiving Sayings for Football Fans
- "Thanksgiving dinners take eighteen hours to prepare. They are consumed in twelve minutes. Half-times take twelve minutes. This is not coincidence." - Erma Bombeck
- "The Pilgrims had amazing foresight to invent Thanksgiving and football on the same day." - Greg Tamblyn
- "I like football. I find it's an exciting, strategic game. It's a great way to avoid conversation with your family at Thanksgiving." - Craig Ferguson
- That's one of the great things about Thanksgiving: Football's on! - Michael Strahan
- "On Thanksgiving Day, all over America, families sit down to dinner at the same moment - half time" - Unknown
Quotes for a "Friendsgiving"
- "Friends are the family you choose." - Jess C. Scott
- "I'm thankful for Friendsgiving because it's all the eating and drinking of Thanksgiving without the judgment." - Unknown
- "Friendship consists of forgetting what one gives and remembering what one receives." - Alexander Dumas
- "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one.'" - C.S. Lewis
Show Your Appreciation
No matter how far you travel or how many people share your Thanksgiving meal, be sure to show your gratitude and share your thoughts with the people you care most about. Sometimes a simple quote is all it takes to get the conversation started - and then you'll be talking, laughing and sharing all the way through to dessert.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"Thanksgiving Sayings." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 18 October 2018. <http://quotes.yourdictionary.com/articles/thanksgiving-sayings.html>.
Thanksgiving Sayings. (n.d.). Retrieved October 18th, 2018, from http://quotes.yourdictionary.com/articles/thanksgiving-sayings.html